Monday 2 August 2010

Thing 3 - Creating my Cam 23 blog

Well well well... this is the one that's taken me aaaaages so far! Once fellow participants started blogging and posting challenging, thought-provoking offerings, I started reading avidly and postponing the inevitable: blogging myself. "Mañana mañana daaaarrrling" is what I told myself... with the secret hope that nobody would actually read this.

The first hurdle was settling on a name. How vain, I can hear you think already... and you'd be right of course. Nevertheless, it remained a stumbling block. Since I couldn't think of anything witty after three days of racking my brain and waking my husband in the middle of the night to ask if he'd found any good names so far, and having decided against anything that could be construed as racy or so cutting-edge that people would actively want to follow this blog ('Don't judge a librarian by its cover', 'A librarian for the Noughties', 'Shhh! Librarian blogging', 'Librarian by day...' were all considered and rejected), I settled on this one. I knew that I wanted to keep this for professional purposes (well, 23 Things purposes really) while still being a blogging infant, and the 23 Things programme, to me, also fits very well with something I care about, which is shaking the tired old librariany stereotypes and making people understand what we do all day. And how our role is just as important now as it was 30 or 50 or 100 years ago (if not more, I would argue), it's just that our job description has evolved with the times, that's all. Shame the image hasn't. Yet.

I can see some of the advantages of blogging: a blog is a very flexible format that can be customised to be as formal/professional or as personal and laid back as one wants, that is easy to use (yes, even I admit that so far I've found Blogger remarkably problem-free and user-friendly), and into which one can cram an awful lot of interesting stuff and relevant links. How useful a tool it can be in a library setting remains to see. I'll be open-minded about it but am not convinced yet.

Screenshot to follow, once I work out how to do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment