Sunday 22 August 2010

Thing 17 - LinkedIn

This week's Thing to explore is LinkedIn and I must say, I'm not particularly enamoured with it. I've had an account for a couple of years (invited yet again to create one by a friend and colleague of mine) but haven't really used it as such. I can appreciate its strength as a purely professional networking tool (exit the frisson of Facebook with its blurred boundaries between work and social life) but have had too many people I barely knew, or didn't know in a professional context, sending me Contact Invitations to not view it with a hefty dose of cynicism at this point - especially since LinkedIn warns us that by accepting the contact invitation, we could potentially be asked to write a reference for this person at some point. Right now LinkedIn seems to me to be the poorer parent of Facebook (more fun) and Twitter (more vibrant), and I'm not sure I can find the time and energy to devote to yet another .

At this stage I'm also starting to suffer from Thing Fatigue (a brand new syndrome currently claiming many victims among the Cambridge librarian population) and while I have enthusiastically embraced several of the previous Things, I simply cannot muster the energy or the enthusiasm for LinkedIn. Will I persevere with it and do my best to reap the benefits of it? Yes, certainly. Will it ever become one of my favourite Things? I strongly doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment