Tuesday 31 August 2010

Thing 22 - wikis

Well, I haven't as yet got much experience of wikis, I've only come across them a few times so far. I appreciated the info posted on the 23 Things website, they suddenly make a lot more sense!

Like several others I'm sure, my main experience with wikis is actually Wikipedia, a good source for a first point of contact to get a quick idea on a topic. I'll echo Trainee Mermaid Dives In 's musings on Wikipedia, I've never had a problem with it, but have nevertheless taken the information there with a pinch of salt and to be double-checked - especially since Gary Delaney, a stand-up comedian we went to see at the Edinburgh Fringe last week, freely admitted with a dirty chuckle to spam Wikipedia for the fun of it. The librarian in me definitely bristled at that!

As for other wikis, I wasn't aware of the Library Success wiki about best practices in libraries, but got quite excited when I came across it reading up on the subject. I've been dipping in and out of it and have made it a favourite, watching out in particular to see which areas get updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment