Sunday 22 August 2010

Thing 18 - Zotero

Zotero and I got off on the wrong start. It was easy enough to download... except the logo wouldn't appear on my browser, and then everything went wrong. I didn't find it very intuitive to start with, it definitely took me a while to get going with it, but I'm glad I persevered: it's an incredible referencing tool and once I get the hang of it we'll be best buddies, you mark my words. I'll just have to tame it first!

Here's my first attempt at saving references in Zotero, which was easy enough, not complaints there. Tags will become more familiar, I'm sure, as time goes by.



I didn't help of course that I was trying to look at it while on holiday with friends in Keld, on my way to the Edinburgh Fringe. My mind wasn't quite with Zotero!

I was impressed with what I saw various libraries doing and liked the Medical Library's introduction to referencing with Zotero. I'll look and learn there!


Mendeley and Bookends I'll have a look at in a few weeks' time, if/when I can carve a few hours of professional development time in my busy day - so after the close of the 23 Things programme then! Mais ce n'est que partie remise, as the French would say. As Libby mentioned in her post about Doodle, it's all about time management, and I've tended to find the time for the 23 Things programme outside of work so far. Making this conscious decision to lay aside for a couple of hours a week the urgent tasks that take our attention during the day is something else I'm working on as part of the programme... but I suspect that the fact that I've done most of it so far during my home time indicates it will not be an easy battle for me to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment